Welcome to the Web site of the family of A.J. Ploch, including the Gracelys, the Tumultys, the Pucketts and the Cunovs.
If you see any errors, or have any ideas or submissions for the site, please write to Danny Puckett.
EXPLOCHSION 2008 WAS GREAT!
This Web site is dedicated to the memory of A.J. Ploch, born March 13, 1905, in Cestohowa, Texas, and died April 22, 1985, in San Antonio, Texas; and his beloved wife, Emily Anna Tudyk Ploch, born Nov. 7, 1907; died in January 2000, in San Antonio. They were married Aug. 29, 1926, in St. Hedwig, Texas.
A.J. Ploch served from Jan. 1, 1947 to Sept. 20, 1977, as Bexar County commissioner, Precinct 4; his more than 30 years in office set a record for length of service unsurpassed since the county began electing its commissioners in 1845. He was Bexar County judge from Sept. 20, 1977, to Dec. 31, 1978.
In 1931, Ploch founded the A.J. Ploch Oil Co. You can read about it by pressing on the Family Lore button above, and then clicking on "In the Media" on the left side of the screen.
Having been a professional calf-roper, Ploch saw a need in South Texas for a venue for the promotion of rodeos and stock shows, so he joined Joe and Harry Freeman in 1944 and 1945 to promote a plan to build the Coliseum, was a driving force in the building of what is now the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum, which was completed in 1949 and was used for the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo from 1950 until 2003, when it moved to the adjacent SBC Center (now the AT&T Center).
Ploch was a dedicated director and life member of the San Antonio Livestock Exposition, served as founder and trailboss of the Alamo Trail Ride, and was chairman of twelve trail rides which, in their annual trek to San Antonio, kick off the Stock Show & Rodeo.
The San Antonio Livestock Exposition inducted the late Judge A.J. Ploch into its Hall of Fame on Jan. 9, 2003.
For an updated list of items left behind at the ranch, see the Reunion "What" page.